AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
Advanced Data Protection, HomeKit woes, a 15-inch MacBook Air is in the works, and the EU may force Apple to allow app side loading and third-party app stores — all on this week's AppleInsider Podcast.
iOS 16.2, iPadOS 16.2, macOS Ventura 13.1, and the other operating systems are updated with Freeform and iPad external display support. Your hosts discuss the new features, including Apple Music Sing and the HomeKit architecture update.
Advanced Data Protection and physical security keys offer more protection to users, but some settings are more drastic than others. Getting Advanced Data Protection activated can be tasking, especially for those with multiple older products still signed into their Apple ID.
The EU will begin enforcing a law that compels Apple to allow third-party app stores and side-loading by 2024. Your hosts round out the podcast detailing exactly what Apple's implementation of side-loading might look like and what it means for developers.
Contact our hosts
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- macOS Ventura 13.1 is out with new Freeform app and iCloud security updates
- Apple releases iOS 16.2 with Freeform and Apple Music Sing
- How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support
- Apple's Advanced Data Protection feature is here - what you need to know
- iPadOS 16.2 now available with external display support
- Some Apple HomeKit setups are breaking after iOS 16.2 update
- HomePass for HomeKit
- Apple seeds first developer beta for iOS 16.3, iPadOS 16.3, tvOS 16.3, watchOS 9.3
- iOS 16.3 beta includes support for physical security keys
- New 15.5-inch MacBook Air rumored to arrive in early 2023
- Emergency SOS via Satellite for iPhone 14 expands into Europe
- iPhone 14 satellite rescue feature prompts challenging canyon rescue
- Crash Detection causing problems for Canada's helicopter rescue teams
- Apple preparing for third-party app stores by 2024
- You might be ready for side loading on iPhone, but your parents aren't
- Apple could lose all App Store revenue in EU and only take 1% hit
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.